The moment after an auto collision can be a disorienting and confusing experience. The most important thing is to be prepared in these situations, which starts with having your paperwork organized.
It’s no secret that maintaining the cleanliness and organization of your car can be tough. The key to keeping your paperwork organized is to have an “important documents folder.” Some call it an essential documents folder, while others coin it the “cop folder.” Regardless of what you call it, everyone should have one. Inside the folder, you should have an array of contents to support you through a collision and everyday life.
Contents we recommend to have in your folder:
- Contact information – Just in case the folder that you spent time organizing gets misplaced, or falls out of the car, it is essential to have your contact information readily available so that it returns to you.
- Registration – You should always have your registration present in your vehicle in case you get pulled over. However, it is essential to have handy in the event of a collision.
- Insurance details – Proof of insurance is important to be able to easily present in the event of a collision or when speaking to a police officer.
- Copy of driver’s license – While this is not an official replacement of your physical driver’s license, it is a good idea to have a copy in case of an emergency to identify yourself.
- 4-5 notes with insurance details and contact information – This can be used to easily exchange your information in the event of a collision. They can double as a notepad to take down the other parties’ information.
- Emergency contact information – If a collision occurs and you are not responsive, it is wise to provide emergency contact information that first responders can contact.
- A pen – A pen is a good idea to leave in your folder for multiple reasons and events. However, if you need to take down a driver’s information, a pen would be useful.
These tips are created to prepare you in the event a collision occurs to make your life easier. If your automobile has extensive auto body damage, Ric’s Body & Paint can assist in making your car as good as new! Let us assist you in any issues that collisions bring to your vehicle. For more auto tips and to contact us, visit our website to learn more!