Back to school means sharing the road again. School days bring chaos with buses picking up their passengers, kids on foot and bike hurrying to beat the first bell, and parents rushing to drop their children off to make it to work on time. It is the season to slow down, pay attention, and be aware of your surroundings even after school hours. Ric’s Body and Paint would like to help you with your preparations by offering these simple safety tips.
School Zone Tips:
- Never use a cell phone unless it is completely hands-free while in a school zone
- Slow down when entering a school zone and obey all traffic laws
- Always stop for buses that are unloading or loading students
- Never pass other vehicles while in a school zone
- Be aware and look out for school zone signs, signals, children, bus stops, and sidewalks
- ALWAYS obey the speed limit
Sharing the Road with Pedestrians:
At Ric’s Body and Paint, we think it is important to educate the community to keep and raise awareness on transportation-related incidents. Below are a few precautions to let children get across safely.
- Use extreme caution to avoid striking pedestrians no matter who has the right of way
- Never block the crosswalk when at a red light or waiting to turn – this forces pedestrians to go around you, putting them in the path of moving traffic
- Be aware of children in all areas, zones, playgrounds, parks, and residential areas
- Always stop for a crossing guard or patrol officer holding up a stop sign
- Never honk to scare a pedestrian, even if you have the right of way
Sharing the Road with Bicyclists:
Bicyclists have the same rules and responsibilities as vehicles, however, bicyclists are often hard to see. It is important to us that we keep the community safe and protect young children, especially on bikes.
- Check all mirrors before opening your doors
- Watch for bikes coming out of driveways or from blind-spots
- Be aware when turning left – if a bicyclist is approaching, wait for the rider to pass
- Take note when bike riders are turning in front of you without signaling
Ric’s Body and Paint supports families and safe driving habits. By taking an extra moment to be aware of your surroundings during the hustle and bustle of school mornings, pedestrians, and motorists can co-exist safely in school zones and the children in our community can make it to school on time and safely!